Camera filters allow us to subtract light from our scene to be able to get correctly exposed shots or obtain different effects such as long exposure photos where the moving parts of the scene leave a more or less marked trail depending on the exposure time, in order to to do this we need different types of camera filters according to our needs.
What kind of filters we can found?
We could separate the camera filters into 3 large groups and in turn these large groups of photography filters can be separated into different categories:
Graduated Filters (GND)
Soft Graduated Filter (Soft GND)
Medium Graduated Filter (Medium GND)
Hard Graduated Filter (Hard GND)
Reverse Graduated Filter (RGND)
ND Filter (Neutral Density)
Square ND filter
Round ND filter
Variable ND Filter
Special & Effects filters
When is necessary use a filter?
Whenever we need to capture a scene, either with a photo or video camera, we will need to shape the light, the intensity of the light is not always adequate for our purpose or we simply have highly contrasted areas which we need to compensate properly to not lose information, either in low or high lights.
To reduce the amount of light that enters in our camera we will need "something" that adequately blocks that light without reducing the quality of what we are capturing (sharpness) and without adding any deviation in the color channels (RGB) (color cast).
The filters will allow us to let the light in the point that we need to achieve the desired effect, these filters must have certain characteristics to be a high quality filters, for example:
- Hydrophobic: Repel water for easy cleaning.
- Nanocoating: The protective layers are nano-sized for better light work and sharpness.
- Color cast: Total absence of dominants. They can change the temperature (white balance) but it should be easily fixable.
- Vignetting: Total absence of darkening in the corners.
- Quality glass: Essential so as not to reduce the optical quality of our lens.
- Tempered glass: Protection against unwanted blows.
- With the Wolverine KASE filters we can have all these properties in the same filter, they are the high quality KASE brand filters.